Second-Offense DUI in San Mateo County

Assuming that you have been arrested for a second-offense DUI within a period of 10 years, the DMV will suspend your license for one year (unless you win a set aside of the administrative action against your license. Again, assuming that you are convicted in a criminal court for a second-offense DUI, your license will be suspended for a period of two years. The total suspension period by both the DMV and the criminal court shall not exceed two years.

However, for most working people, not having a driver's license for either one or two years means unequivocal and inevitable financial ruin. Therefore, the Department of Motor Vehicles is allowed by legislative enactment to provide a restricted driver's license to an individual who is arrested and/or convicted of a second-offense DUI. In this scenario, the individual can get a restricted license from the DMV after serving 90 days of his or her license suspension.

If you are facing license revocation after a second-offense DUI in Northern California, call toll free at 866-477-0965 or contact our San Mateo County DUI lawyers online in order to set up a no-obligation consultation.

How to Get a Restricted Driver's License After a Second DUI in the Redwood City Area

In order to obtain a restricted driver's license following a second drunk driving arrest or conviction, the individual needs to submit the following to the DMV:

  • Proof of enrollment in either an 18-month or 30-month multiple offender program
  • An agreement to continue in the multiple offender program during the period of the restriction
  • Proof of installation of an ignition interlock device (IID), as well as, an agreement to maintain the IID during the period of the license suspension
  • Proof of financial responsibility, i.e., an SR-22 (which can be obtained from an insurance company and must be maintained for three years following the conviction)
  • Payment of a restricted license fee to the DMV

To try to avoid a criminal conviction for a second-offense DUI, as well as, two-year license suspension, consult with our attorneys at Ahmed & Sukaram right away. Our lawyers may help you secure a not guilty verdict at trial or help you obtain a reduction of your DUI charges to a "wet-reckless," and thereby avoid many of the consequences described above. You have rights and defenses, don't miss out on yours!

In order to obtain a restricted license, you must have been over 21 years old at the time of the DUI arrest and must have submitted to an implied consent test. If you were on probation for another DUI and had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of greater than .01 percent, then you are not eligible to receive a restricted license.

Contact Our Attorney for DUI License Suspension Advice in San Mateo County

If you or someone you love is facing criminal charges in Northern California, call our law firm in Redwood City toll free at 866-477-0965 or contact us online to set up a no-obligation consultation.